SACRED HEART CONVENT
The community is located in a main town in Thiruvannamalai District. The convent is situated amidst lush paddy fields and surrounded by number of villages populated by the downtrodden and the poor. The people are mostly deprived of education and are dependent on the agriculture for their day-to-day living.
As the shock waves of the Second World War hit Madras dreadfully in 1939, the people were exhorted by the Government to leave the city for safer places. At the instruction of Most Rev. Dr. Louis Mathias, sdb, the then Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore, the sisters moved to Vandavasi with the young orphan children who were under their care and protection during the leadership of Mother Mary Sebastin, the then Superior General.
On reaching Vandavasi, the sisters surrendered the children in the hands of Sacred Heart of Jesus. A small house was built for the children and eventually a school was also built over there. During this time of great difficulty, Rev. Fr. John Venram, the then parish priest of Vandavasi helped the sisters to carry out their compassionate mission in this area. In 2006 a new chapel was built through the efforts of Sr. Mary Paula, the superior which was blessed by Msgr. Joe Lourdusamy, the then Administrator of the Diocese of Vellore.
In 1943, Sacred Heart Home for Children was constructed and 300 children were accommodated here. In 1961 the home was expanded and about 600 girls stayed and studied at the school.
From 1977 onwards some of our children are adopted by the Christians of the village “Frukobel”, Germany. They take care of the educational needs and provide for the other expenses as well.
From 1994 onwards this home also gets the support of the St. Thomas Foundation, Netherlands.
The sisters are actively involved in the field of education through Sacred Heart Higher Secondary School, which provides integral formation and quality education to the poor girls from the neighbouring villages. Nirmala Dispensary, situated at a village called Padiri, takes care of the basic medical needs of the people.
The sisters also administer St. Joseph’s Industrial School, which offers the Tailoring Teacher’s Training Programme for girls to find gainful employment. The sisters, apart from all these activities, also participate in the pastoral programme of the parish.
Sacred Heart Girls Higher Secondary School
St. Joseph’s Industrial School
Sacred Heart Home for Children
Nirmala Dispensary, Padiri
Sacred Heart Convent
Tiruvannamalai District – 604 408
Sacred Heart Convent: 04183-225394
Sacred Heart Girls Hr. Sec. School: 04183-225852