The community is located at Vaniambadi, a town in Vellore District. Leather tanning is a major industry of the town. Agriculture, especially coconut plantations, is another major source of livelihood.
St. Mary’s Convent was established in 1954 through the efforts of Mother Mary Dominic, the then Superior General. In response to the invitation of Rt. Rev. Dr. David Mariyanayagam, sdb, the then Bishop of Vellore and through the guidance of Fr. Xavier, a Home for Children and a School were established to educate the orphans and the marginalised of the society.
The sisters have been serving at Vaniambadi through various ministries ever since their presence in 1954. A Home for Children, which is not presently functional, was started. The sisters also provide medical assistance to the poor, the sick and the suffering of the village through St. Joseph’s Dispensary and the Mother-Child-Welfare Service Centre. In 1970 the convent was renovated and extended with additional facilities. The sisters help the young girls of the village find employment through the Tailoring School. Sacred Heart Crèche is also functioning effectively through the support of the sisters. The sisters also involve in strengthening the family relationships through Small Christian Communities and other pastoral activities.
Sacred Heart Crèche
St. Joseph’s Dispensary
St. Antony’s Primary School (Diocesan)
St. Mary’s Convent
Vellore District – 635 754
St. Mary’s Convent: 04174-226198