The convent is situated at Pulicat, a historic seashore town in Thiruvallur District, about 60 kms north of Chennai. Pulicat largely consists of the backwaters of the adjoining sea, which is the Bay of Bengal. Pulicat is also surrounded by many hamlets from where children commute through boats for their education. The basic occupation of the people is fishing.
In the beginning, the Portuguese Missionaries constructed a church and dedicated it to our Blessed Mother, fondly called as Mahimaimadha. In 1930, Fr. John A. R. invited our sisters to render their services for the upliftment of the people of the locality.
Mother Mary Sebastin, the then Superior General wholeheartedly welcomed this project. Since 1930, our sisters have been doing enormous work for the benefit of the people, especially the poor and the downtrodden. After a long span of dedicated service the sisters handed over the correspondentship of the Primary School to the diocese in the year 2005. However, the sisters continue to educate the children through St. Joseph’s High School, which was started in 1993 and New School Building was financially supported by the Thomas Foundation, Netherlands. In 2006 a new convent building was constructed.
The sisters have been carrying out their ministry by educating the children of the area through their services in the schools. The sisters also support the weak students through free coaching classes.
The sisters make sure that no child of the area is deprived of education and the children are given personal care and attention. In 1990,
St. Joseph’s Technical Centre was started to provide skills in typewriting, and tailoring to help the poor and young women find gainful employment. The Technical Centre Building was financially supported by the Claretian Fathers. The sisters are also pastorally involved in different ministries of the parish.
St. Joseph’s Technical Centre
St. Joseph’s High School
R.C. Primary School (Diocesan)
St. Mary’s Convent
Kancheepuram District – 601 204
St. Mary’s Convent: 044-27296463