The convent is situated in Pathiyavaram, a village which is about
15 kms away from Arani in Vellore District. The residents of the village are mostly illiterate. The people are poor farmers and daily-wage earners.
St. Mary’s Convent was established in 1943 through the efforts of Mother Mary Catherine, the then Superior General. The sisters commenced their ministry in Pathiyavarm by teaching in a Diocesan Middle School and by conducting tailoring classes for the poor young women of the village. They were also taking care of the aged and the elderly through an Old-Age Home. In 1993, a new convent building was constructed and it was blessed by Rt. Rev. Dr. Antony Muthu, the then Bishop of Vellore.
Since 1943, the sisters are engaged in mission at Pathiavaram through various ministries and activities. However, the sisters opened the St. Mary’s Home for Children in 1997 for the poor children of the neighbouring villages. At the moment, the home shelters more than 90 children who are mostly poor and semi-orphans. Two sisters work in a Diocesan Middle School. The sisters also pay attention to the social, spiritual, educational and pastoral needs of the parish.
St. Mary’s Home for Children
R.C.M. Middle School (Diocesan)
St. Mary’s Convent
Susai Nagar Post
Tiruvannamalai District – 632 326
St. Mary’s Convent: 04173-247231