The convent is situated at Ottanthangal, a remote and interior village in Kancheepuram District. The village has a refreshing look with paddy fields, trees and a natural environment. This village, known for its traditional faith, has given many priests, nuns and religious brothers to the Church. The people of this village depend on agriculture and work hard for their day-to-day living.
In 1973, Rev. Fr. P. Sebastian, the then parish priest of Ottanthangal, with the consent of the Most Rev. Dr. R. Arulappa, the then Archbishop of Madras-Mylapore, invited our sisters to educate the children of the village during the leadership of Mother Mary Francis, the then Superior General. Initially, the sisters had to stay in a small house while beginning their service in the village. Later on, it was Sr. Mary Paula the superior who constructed the convent, school and boarding at this place.
The sisters have been tirelessly rendering their services in educating the children of the village ever since the beginning of their mission in 1941. In 1973, a new house was constructed and the Primary School was upgraded into a Middle School. The sisters also extended their services through a Primary School in Sinnivakkam, a substation of the parish, which is 5 kms away from Ottanthangal.
In 1986, St. Antony’s Home for Children was started and in 1990, a new building for the boarding was built. It is through the dedicated service of the sisters that many children of the village have been educated and are now looking forward to a bright future. The sisters are also engaged in various pastoral activities of the parish.
St. Antony’s Home for Children
R.C. Middle School
R.C. Primary School, Sinnivakkam
St. Joseph’s Convent
Kancheepuram District – 631 604
St. Joseph’s Convent: 044-27290691