LITTLE FLOWER CONVENT
The convent is located in George Town, a historical neighbourhood of Fort St. George in the northern part of Chennai. This convent was the first branch-house of the congregation, which was established mainly to serve the downtrodden of the society.
The convent had its inception in the year 1931 and from 1940 onwards the convent began to function as a formation house and novitiate. This initiative was taken by Mother Mary Sebastin, the then Superior General. Since 1952 the novices began to stitch mass vestments, make candles and prepare hosts for mass. In 1954, the novitiate was shifted to Poonamallee and thereafter the sisters started a Technical Institute for Typing and Tailoring to help the young women of the locality to find gainful employment.
Ever since the inception of the convent in 1940, the sisters have been teaching and taking care of the administration of English and Tamil Medium Diocesan Schools to educate the poor children of the vicinity. Many young women benefit to a large extent from the Technical Institute run by our sisters. The sisters also participate in several pastoral activities of the parish.
St. Joseph’s Industrial School
St. Joseph’s Typewriting Institute
St. Agnes Middle School (Diocesan)
Little Flower Convent
100, Portuguese Street
Chennai – 600 001
Little Flower Convent: 044-25270292