SACRED HEART CONVENT
The convent is located at Egmore, one of the busiest neighbourhoods of Chennai. The area comprises of many important institutions and government establishments. The locality also serves as a dwelling place for the poor and daily wage earners. A lot of slums are located in and around Egmore.
In 1904 Sacred Heart Middle School was started by the Archdiocese. Our sisters were requested to provide their services
at the school. However, in 1964 the administration of the School
was handed to our congregation by Rev. Fr. A.J. Adaikalam,
the then parish priest of Sacred Heart Church, Egmore when
Mother Mary Francis was the then Superior General. In 1975,
Sacred Heart Convent was established with the sole purpose of educating the children of the locality who have been denied access to quality education for a protracted period of time. This initiative was taken by Mother Mary Martina, the then Superior General. However, the school had to be closed down in 2009 due to the construction of a new church in the campus. In 1981, a Working Women’s Hostel was constructed to provide safe and secure accommodation facility to many girls and working women in Chennai. At the moment, there are about 80 working women staying in the hostel.
The sisters were working in the school till 2009 and during this period of 104 years the sisters had the privilege of educating thousands of children, especially those living on platforms of the railway station and the neighbouring slums. Sisters also cater to the needs of the working women at the hostel, visit the people who are sick at the hospital and engage in the pastoral activities of the parish.
Sacred Heart Working Women’s Hostel
Sacred Heart Convent
44, Halls Road
Chennai – 600 008
Sacred Heart Convent: 044-28192046