OUR LADY OF LOURDES CONVENT
The convent is located at Cheyyar, a town in Tiruvannamalai District about 30 kms away from Kancheepuram. The major occupations of the people are agriculture and hand looming.
Rev. Fr. Remari, the then Parish Priest, wanted to educate the poor, the illiterate and the downtrodden of Cheyyar and hence invited our sisters to take care of this specific mission. At his invitation, Mother Mary Dominic, the then Superior General, established
a community at Cheyyar in 1951 and our sisters commenced
their teaching ministry through the Diocesan School. In 1974,
Our Lady of Lourdes Convent was built. It was blessed by
Rt. Rev. Dr. Anthony Muthu, the then Bishop of the Diocese of Vellore.
The sisters willingly took up the task when invited to educate the poor and the downtrodden of Cheyyar. Since 1951, our sisters have been constantly working for the upliftment of the poor through their services in education at the diocesan Tamil and English Medium Schools. In 1956, Our Lady of Lourdes Home for Children was constructed. Presently there are eighty girls under the guidance of the sisters. Besides their commitment to education, the sisters are also involved in various pastoral ministries of the parish.
Our Lady of Lourdes Home for Children
R.C.M. Middle School (Diocesan)
Our Lady of Lourdes Convent
Tiruvannamalai District – 604 407
Our Lady of Lourdes Convent: 04182-222727